Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Well, I'm here…and I'm alive! I survived my first crazy weekend in Lima and had a blast. It still hasn't sunk in that I am actually in Peru. It seems like it was only last week when I was getting my passport and filling out paperwork. I'm finally here…and it's like a dream!

First of all, the trip here was much more of a breeze than I thought. The only problem that I had was the fact that I am not a patient person. It seemed like it took forever to get my luggage! But, before I knew it, I met Fabricio and his friend Hector at the airport. They kissed me, handed me some beautiful yellow flowers and we were gone! 

We got back to the apartment and I was pretty tired, so I went to bed right away. The next day, Fabricio took me around the city and showed me how to get to the university. It is about a 5-10 walk so it isn't bad at all. 

After giving me the grand tour, Fabricio told me that we would be going to a party "a la playa" with his good friends Hector and Erick. It was a great time, but I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into! We left the apartment at 8ish and went to South Lima. There were lots of restaurants and shops, and quite a few bars/clubs as well. At about 1am, we went to the actual party at a really fun dance club. I was already yawning, and everyone laughed at me! They said it was too early to be tired…so I downed a couple of Red Bulls to wake up. I had absolutely NO idea that I would be up until 8:30am the next morning! Ahhh…I thought I was going to die. Aparently, this is a normal weekend in Lima. There were even people much older than me at the club, dancing their butts off all night long. Es muy loco!




Needless to say, Sunday was dedicated to sleep and getting ready for orientation on Monday. It was very nice and the campus is very beautiful. It isn't too big, either, so it is easy to get around. I have one class every day for 3 hours…except Fridays. Monday-Wednesday I go to class from 2-5 and Thursday is from 4-7. (Each day is a different class) Today we had our class with Marta Moorman (the professor from UNK that traveled with us) so it was nice to catch up with the other UNK students and share stories from our first adventures. We also decided to go to Jockey Plaza so some of us could shop and get cell phones. It was quite an adventure getting there, as it was my first ride on the crazy combis. 






Today I have my first real Spanish class at the university, and I am very nervous! It is a grammar class, and I have a feeling it isn't going to be easy. On that note, I better start mentally preparing myself for that! Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment