Wednesday, January 23, 2013

¡Ay Dios Mio!

Well, I can't believe that I am almost done with my third week of classes in Peru! Last week, I woke up everyday and had to remind myself where I was. It was the weirdest feeling. I am now finally remembering that I am in another country! Sounds so strange, but true. I'm at that stage where I ask myself..."am I really studying in Lima, Peru right now?" What in the world am I doing here? But it isn't a bad or sad feeling. It's just hard for me to believe that this is actually happening! It is like a dream.

Along with the joys and fun I've had during this 3rd week in Peru has come an overload of homework. I have been staying up very late into the morning every night studying and writing and reading and trying to understand what will go on in class the next day. Sometimes it is enjoyable, while other times my head hurts so bad I want to smash it into the wall. Haha :) To make matters worse, we were having troubles with our internet at the apartment last weekend so I wasn't able to work on my homework for my two online classes. It was a nightmare trying to catch up with the assignments I missed, but I am finally back on track and the wifi is up and running smoothly. (Cross your fingers it will stay that way!)

It is kind-of hard for me to think all the way back to last Tuesday and update everyone on what I've experienced since then, so I will try my best. Here goes nothing: Classes went pretty smoothly last week. On Thursday evening, I went out with some friends to Miraflores at a discoteca and had a blast. Then on Friday it was EXTREMELY hot outside. But, besides me and Haley's best efforts, we couldn't find a place to swim! The pool at my apartment and our friend Sam's apartment both were closed for the day. Just our luck. :) Saturday, Haley and I went South of Lima with Fabricio and his friends to a discoteca and it was a lot of fun. We danced until our (my) feet hurt and spent most of Sunday sleeping and trying to catch up on some last minute homework. One memorable moment from Saturday/Sunday was the fact that there was somewhat of a chicken/rooster farm right next to our hotel room. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep do to the very loud, annoying noises of those dang chickens!




Monday, I unfortunately didn't make it to my class at 2pm. I have been dealing with a lot of stomach issues and was pretty miserable all day. But I did, however, HAVE to get some homework done, so I went to Starbucks so I could use their wifi. I'm pretty sure I'm the only "gringa" that goes to this Starbucks frequently, and I think they know I live with Fabio as well. They know my name is "Whitney" but they write it different on my cup every single time. This one was my personal favorite. :)



Monday evening, Haley and I went to TGI Friday's with Fabio and friends to celebrate our friend Hector's birthday. His birthday was actually on Tuesday, but in Peru it is common to celebrate the birthday at 9 or 10pm until midnight so you can sing happy birthday to your friend right as their birthday begins. We learned that this celebration was called "quema." It was so awesome to have some familiar food, as well!



Well, the rest of the week looks like it should be pretty eventful for me! On Friday, I am going with my classmates and our grammar teacher to downtown Lima for the day to sight-see and visit churches/museums/other fun stuff. Then, on Saturday we are going hiking at 7am (Yikes) with our grammar professor as well! I am so excited to finally be able to witness the beauty of the nature here in Peru. Should be a great weekend. On that note, better keep on keepin-on with my homework.  ¡Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment