Monday, March 4, 2013

There's no place like home...

Well I've officially been at my new home for a week now. It has been an absolute blessing and I can't express how thankful I am for the Patrucco's for taking me in when I needed them. Not only have I been blessed with their love, support, and company, but I have also been fed some Peru's finest dishes in the short time span of one week. The food has been absolutely incredible and I haven't had anything I didn't like. I've had all sorts of different dishes from cow hearts and pork to sheep and yuca...and I am not complaining! I've never been a picky eater, and I am so thankful for that. It has been really fun to have something different to eat every day. Each day is a new experience and I'm loving it.

Last week was one of the most stressful weeks I've had as a student at UPC. As if my online classes don't add enough work as it is, I had a test every single day of the week...Monday through Thursday. It was especially hard for me because I was also trying to adapt to my new life in the Patrucco household. But, I survived. :)

On Thursday evening, we went out with some of our Peruvian friends to a disco and had a great time dancing to great music. Needless to say I was very tired when I woke up on Friday morning. That evening, we decided to take it easy and go see Here Comes the Boom in theaters. It was a pretty funny movie, but our heads hurt after it was over because the movie was entirely in Spanish! I was definitely ready for bed after that. On Saturday, a few of my friends and I went to this well-known shopping market called Polvo Azules that was supposed to have really cheap goods. We went around 3pm and it was absolutely CRAZY. There were people everywhere and it was pretty miserable for me. I am hoping to return during a week day sometime to see if I can actually get some shopping done. That evening, we decided to go to Miraflores and walk around to some of the different bars/discos that were in the area. We had a great time together and it was nice to take a break from the stress of studying and homework that was so excessive during the week.

And here is the part of my blog where y'all get to listen to me whine and be all mooshy-gooshy and cliché. First of all, I know I say that homesickness has started to kick in before....but I think I've reached an even higher level. I Skyped my parents on Sunday and had them meet my Peruvian family, and I bawled my eyes out for the first 20 minutes I talked to them. Sometimes I wish I could slip on some red sparkly slippers and click my heels 3 times like Dorothy so I could go home just to hug and kiss everyone, but I've had to pinch myself a couple of times and remind myself that it isn't reality.  I get to talk to my mom and sister quite a bit considering we all have iPhones, but communication with my dad isn't so frequent. This daddy's girl is having a rough time with that. I am not ready to leave Peru, but I am more than ready to go home and see my family and my puppies.




Secondly, I want to reflect on the friendships I've been blessed with during this adventure in Peru. I came here kind-of knowing a few people from Spanish classes at UNK, and I am leaving with 11 people I can call friends. I especially want to mention the friendship I've gained with these 3 hooligans.


Through troubles with host families, being homesick, and the stresses of being a student in a Spanish-speaking country, Sam, Luke & Haley have always been there. It is nice to have someone to lean on when things just aren't going right. It's also nice to know that I have friends I can be comfortable with and be myself around. Don't think I would've made it this far without them!

And last, but certainly not least, I have to stop and say something about missing this guy.
As summer is quickly approaching back home in the US, I am reminded that in July I will have spent the last 5 years of my life with this crazy dude. Time has flown by so fast! Seems like just yesterday I was just the high school band nerd/cheerleader dating the homecoming king. Now My boyfriend is graduating and I am studying in a different country. Crazy! These last few months have most definitely not been easy, and I can't thank him enough for baring with me. I am having the time of my life here in Peru, but it kills me not being there for him during his last semester student teaching in Grand Island. It is exciting for me to hear about all of the wonderful experience he is getting out of this semester, and I can't wait to get back in April and watch him graduate from UNK! I am one proud girlfriend, and I hope he knows that. :)




And....that concludes the lovey-dovey posts of the week. Thanks for checking in and keeping up with my crazy adventure. On Sunday, we leave for Ica so hopefully I will have some fun pictures and stories to share. ¡Hasta luego!



No comments:

Post a Comment